People needing assistance with their heating fuel costs will be able to make applications to the Big Sandy Area Community Action Program beginning next week.
Big Sandy Area Community Action Program (BSACAP) will begin taking applications for the Subsidy portion of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) on Monday, Nov. 5 and continue through Friday, Dec. 14.
Applications will be taken in alphabetical order with specific days assigned. Those hoping to avoid delays should try to bring their application in on the day that correctly corresponds with their last name.
“In the subsidy portion of LIHEAP, everyone who is eligible will be served,” said BSACAP Executive Director James Michael Howell. “It is not on a first-come, first-served basis.”
If you are unable to make it on the date your last name is scheduled to appear, BSACAP will also host a couple of open dates as well.
To qualify for the subsidy component of LIHEAP, applicants must present the following:
- Most recent heating bill or proof that heating expenses are included in rent.
- Proof of physical address - bring metered utility bill.
- Proof of household income for prior month;
- birth dates for all household members.
- Social security card or official documentation with social security numbers for each member households.
Applicants must apply in the county of their residence at one of the following locations:
- Floyd County 60 Court Street Allen, KY (606) 874- 3595
- Johnson County 230 Court Street Paintsville, KY (606) 789-6515
- Magoffin County 131 S. Church Street Salyersville, KY (606) 349-2217
- Martin County 387 E. Main Street Inez, KY (606) 298-3217
- Pike County 478 Town Mountain Road Pikeville, KY (606) 432-2775
Applications may be submitted according to your last name on the following days:
A - Nov. 5; B - Nov. 7 and 8; C - Nov. 9; D and E - Nov. 13; F - Nov. 14; G - Nov. 15; H - Nov. 16 and 19; I and J - Nov. 20; K - Nov. 26; L - Nov. 27; M - Nov. 28 and 29; N - Nov. 30
O and P - Dec. 3; Q and R - Dec. 4; S- Dec. 5 and 6; T - Dec. 7 and 10; U, V and W - Dec. 11; X, Y and Z - Dec. 12; OPEN - Dec. 13 and 14.
Benefit amounts will be based on the level of household poverty and fuel source used for heating. Benefits will be issued to approved applicants, contingent upon funding, to the homes primary or secondary heating fuel vendor.
LIHEAP is a national energy assistance initiative funded by the U.S Department of Health and Human Services and funded in Kentucky by the state Cabinet for Health and Family Services and Community Action Kentucky.