FRANKFORT — The Kentucky Legislative Research Commission is now accepting nominations for the 2012 Vic Hellard Jr. Award.
The award, given annually in memory and recognition of the longtime LRC Director’s contributions to an independent legislative institution and devoted service to the Commonwealth, recognizes a person who has advanced the interests of citizens Kentucky by example and leadership. It is the highest honor the Legislature can bestow.
Letters of nomination should be submitted by Oct. 31, 2012 and should explain how the candidate meets the following criteria, drawn from Hellard’s own career:
- Demonstrates vision, considering long-term implications for the public good;
- Demonstrates innovation, finding new approaches while appreciating history;
- Champions the equality and dignity of all;
- Enhances the processes of a democratic society, promoting public dialogue, educating citizens and decisionmakers, and fosters civic engagement, and;
- Approaches work with commitment, caring, generosity and humor.
Please submit nominations to: Hellard Award Selection Committee, Legislative Research Commission, Attn: Ben Payne, 702 Capitol Avenue, Room 101, Frankfort, KY 40601, or online at www.lrc.ky.gov/HellardAward.htm.