SITKA - Tim McCreadie only needed 25 laps to get the job done.
McCreadie, of Watertown, N.Y., earned his first World of Outlaws Late Model Series victory of the season after he passed Rookie-of-the-Year contender Chase Junghans halfway through the Moonshine Runner 50 to collect the $10,000 payday on Friday night at Jarrod Breeding’s 201 Speedway.
McCreadie became the ninth different winner in 11 events behind the wheel of the Sweeteners Plus/Integra Racing Shocks sponsored, Pro Power Racing Engines powered Rocket Chassis.
Polesitter McCreadie and Junghans brought the field of 24 to life for the start of the 50-lapper with Junghans taking the point and leading early on. McCreadie slipped back to second spot with Rick Eckert behind him for the third spot.
By the fifth lap, eighth-starting Dustin Linville had worked the top of the track and found himself inside the top-five knocking on the back bumper of Morgan Bagley for fourth. By lap 10, though, Linville had a brush with the turn four wall that knocked him out of contention for a top-five finish with the stellar field of Outlaws that were on hand.
Behind leader Junghans, the battle for second was extremely close. McCreadie was holding off Lanigan, but Lanigan was able to get a run on the bottom and close distance on the leader. Lanigan slid into that runner-up spot behind Junghans on lap 17, but McCreadie raced back around the two-time champ on lap-25 as McCreadie took the lead away from Junghans one lap later.
Just over the halfway point in the race, McCreadie led Junghans, Lanigan, Clint Smith and Rick Eckert, who faded back on the long green-flag run after running second to Junghans on the opening circuits.
By the 32nd lap, Rod Conley made his presence known as he ventured up from 20th to challenge inside the top five a few laps, eventually taking away the spot from Junghans on lap 46.
Just a lap before Conley’s Rocket flew into orbit, Lanigan slipped around Junghans to grab second, which he would never relinquish.
At the checkered flag it was McCreadie, seventh-starting Lanigan, 20th-starting Conley, Junghans and 15th-starting Clint Smith rounding out the top-five finishers.
Completing the top-10 were Eckert, Eric Wells, Bagley, Shane Clanton and Mike Marlar.
“We didn’t fire very good in the heat and in the feature and it seemed like the more we ran the better it felt,” stated an excited McCreadie in victory lane.
“Anytime you got Darrell (Lanigan) behind you, you better tighten ‘em up real tight because he’s on a roll, and we feel fortunate enough to finish ahead of him tonight.”
McCreadie’s car was strong on the top-side of the track.
“Yeah it needed a little bit of stick to keep the car activated and keep it down on the right front, the bottom kind of finally dried up just enough and there’s a pretty big ledge to lean into three that saved me most of race.
“I’m just thankful, this is tough to switch cars as much as I have lately and I appreciate everything Warrior (Race Cars) did for me, I appreciate Mark (Richards) because he’s been really helping. We’ve struggled a little bit and Steve (Baker) and everyone at Rocket has been pushing.”
Lanigan, of Union, never led a lap but stayed in contention to win all night, praising McCreadie’s driving efforts.
“Tim, he’s a good racer, he makes me get up on the wheel. We had a good car, and just came up a little short,” stated Lanigan. Already a three-time winner this season, Lanigan drove the Cornett Racing Engines powered Club 29 Race Car to the podium finish.
The mover of the race was definitely Conley. The Wheelersburg, Ohio, driver marched from his 20th starting position to finish in the third spot behind T-Mac and Lanigan.
“I’ve got a lot of laps down here, I had an idea of what my car would be like if the track slowed down, and it worked out pretty good,” stated Conley.
Eight caution flags slowed the event. The first yellow flag would come on lap two as Jackie Boggs slowed in turn two. The lap four yellow flag waved as Boom Briggs spun on the backstretch collecting several drivers, but he was able to continue. The restart brought out another yellow flag as Brandon Fouts spun in turn four. On lap 14, another yellow flag waved as Derek Fisher and Brandon Kinzer got together in turn four. On lap 23, Chub Frank stopped at the bottom of turn three with an overheating car. The sixth yellow came on lap 33 as Fouts again spun in turn four and on the restart Fouts would spun in the same spot and be sent pit side. The final yellow waved on the 43rd lap as Boom Briggs spun in turn four.
Kenneth Howell turned the fastest overall lap of Ohlins Shocks Time Trials, circling the blistering-fast oval in 12.834 seconds during Group ‘A’ of the split qualifying session. Heat winners were Rick Eckert, Chase Junghans, Dustin Linville and Darrell Lanigan. Steve Casebolt and Shane Clanton captured the B-Mains.
For more information on the WoO LMS, visit www.worldofoutlaws.com .
Fans can also follow the WoO LMS on Twitter at Twitter.com/WoOLateModels and Facebook at Facebook.com/WorldofOutlaws.
Results of World of Outlaws Late Model Series at 201 Speedway (Finishing Position/Start/Driver/Laps Completed/Money Won):
1. (1) Tim McCreadie/50 $10,675
2. (7) Darrell Lanigan/50 $5,650
3. (20) Rod Conley/50 $3,050
4. (2) Chase Junghans/50 $3,300
5. (15) Clint Smith/50 $2,550
6. (4) Rick Eckert/50 $2,350
7. (3) Eric Wells/50 $1,950
8. (6) Morgan Bagley/50 $1,850
9. (18) Shane Clanton/50 $1,800
10. (19) Mike Marlar/50 $1,200
11. (14) Chub Frank/50 $1,600
12. (16) Stephen Breeding/50 $1,500
13. (5) Rick “Boom” Briggs/50 $1,550
14. (8) Dustin Linville/50 $900
15. (23) Frank Heckenast Jr./50 $1,400
16. (22) Brandon Fouts/33 $800
17. (21) Derek Fisher/16 $820
18. (12) Brandon Kinzer/14 $750
19. (9) Shannon Thornsberrry/14 $730
20. (17) Steve Casebolt/3 $700
21. (24) Kenneth Howell/3 $700
22. (10) Zack Dohm/3 $700
23. (13) Jackie Boggs/1 $700
24. (11) R.J. Conley/1 $700
* Earnings include Winners Circle program and cash contingency award bonuses
Time of Race: 31 Mins., 10 Secs.
Margin of Victory: 0.534 Secs.
Yellow Flags: Eight (laps 2, 4, 4 RS, 14, 23, 33, 33 RS, 43)
Red Flags: None
Lap Leaders: Junghans (1-25); McCreadie (26-50)
Provisional Starters: Heckenast and Howell (time)
WoO LMS ‘Bonus Bucks’ Winner: Stephen Breeding ($500)
Ohlins Shocks Time Trial Results (Position/No./Driver/Hometown/Best Lap):
1. 21-Kenneth Howell/Lovely 12.834
2. 18c-Chase Junghans/Manhattan, Ks. 13.070
3. 1-Rick Eckert-York, Pa. 13.096
4. 14m-Morgan Bagley/Tyler, Texas 13.126
5. 4B-Jackie Boggs/Grayson 13.127
6. 17-Zack Dohm/Cross Lanes, W. Va. 13.143
7. 99B-Rick “Boom” Briggs/Beak Lake, Pa. 13.153
8. 38-Derek Fisher/Olympia 13.215
9. 7-Donald McIntosh/Dawsonville, Ga. 13.228
10. 1*-Chub Frank/Bear Lake, Pa. 13.263
11. 17-Shannon Thornsberry/Martin 13.273
12. 47-Chris Combs/Isom 13.347
13. 71-Delmas Conley/Wheelersburg, Ohio 13.423
14. 18m-Michael Wright/Isom 13.496
15. 1k-Joe King/Whitesburg 13.497
16. 157-Mike Marlar/Winfield, Tenn. 13.504
17. C9-Steve Casebolt/Richmond, Ind. 13.645
18. 26-Josh Hall/Prestonsburg 13.693
19. CJ1-Charlie Jude/Inez 13.775
20. 16-Tyler King/Cromona 13.886
1. D8-Dustin Linville/Lancaster 13.024
2. 29-Darrell Lanigan/Union 13.089
3. 39-Tim McCreadie/Watertown, N.Y. 13.181
4. 6T-Tim Dohm/Cross Lanes, W. Va. 13.199
5. 44-Clint Smith-Senoia, Ga. 13.221
6. 81-Brandon Fouts/Kite 13.255
7. 71C-R.J. Conley/Wheelersburg, Ohio 13.277
8. 18K-Brandon Kinzer/Allen 13.347
9. 25-Shane Clanton/Zebulon, Ga. 13.464
10. 16R-Justin Rattliff/Campbellsville 13.476
11. 71J-J.T. Conley/Wheelersburg, Ohio 13.476
12. 99-Frank Heckenast Jr./Orland Park, Ill. 13.522
13. 71R-Rod Conley/Wheelersburg, Ohio 13.524
14. 16D-Paul Davis/Pilgrim 13.564
15. 2-Joe Ramey/Ironton, Ohio 13.647
16. 18-Eric Wells/Hazard 13.709
17. 16T-Tim Tungate/Campbellsville 13.880
18. 5-Stephen Breeding/Isom 15.705
19. 10-Paul Harris/Prestonsburg. No Time
Heat No. 1 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Rick Eckert, Rick “Boom” Briggs, Shannon Thornsberry, Jackie Boggs, Kenneth Howell, Steve Casebolt, Delmas Conley, Joe King, Donald McIntosh, Charlie Jude.
Heat No. 2 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Chase Junghans, Morgan Bagley, Zack Dohm, Chub Frank, Mike Marlar, Derek Fisher, Chris Combs, Michael Wright, Josh Hall, Tyler King.
Heat No. 3 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Dustin Linville, Tim McCreadie, R.J. Conley, Clint Smith, Shane Clanton, Rod Conley, J.T. Conley, Tim Tungate, Paul Harris, Joe Ramey.
Heat No. 4 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Darrell Lanigan, Eric Wells, Brandon Kinzer, Stephen Breeding, Paul Davis, Brandon Fouts, Tim Dohm, Frank Heckenast Jr., Justin Rattliff.
B-Main No. 1 (12 laps - Top 3 Transfer): Steve Casebolt, Mike Marlar, Derek Fisher, Chris Combs, Kenneth Howell, Michael Wright, Delmas Conley, Tyler King, Josh Hall, Joe King, Charlie Jude, Donald McIntosh (DNS).
B-Main No. 2 (12 laps - Top 3 Transfer): Shane Clanton, Rod Conley, Brandon Fouts, Justin Rattliff, Tim Tungate, Paul Davis, Frank Heckenast Jr., J.T. Conley, Paul Harris, Tim Dohm (DNS), Joe Ramey (DNS).
Open Wheel Modified Feature Finish: Dan Ebert, Jeremy Hayes, Scott Lemaster, Jim Barnett, Ervin Vance, Kevin Hall, Cameron Marlar, Justin Jacobs, Jody Puckett, Jim Lemaster, Bryson Guthrie, Aaron Rattliff, Christian Crider, Jason Hall, Josh Stumbo, Brandon Maynard, Brandon Hutchinson.
Four Cylinder Stock Feature Finish: Michael Caudill, Tyler Hayws, Jamie Banks, Chandler Belcher, Dylan Maynard, Tyler Hall, Chris Lowe, Mike Jude.