GEORGETOWN – After reaching the semifinals of the Mid-South Conference Men’s Tennis Championship for the third straight season, third-seeded University of Pikeville came up short on Friday, losing to No. 2-seed Lindsey Wilson 5-0 at the Lackey Tennis Center.
The Blue Raiders, ranked seventh in the latest NAIA Coaches’ Poll, took an early 3-0 lead at the end of doubles play. Their top-seeded duo of Francisco Charters and Fabricio Morales topped Felix Singer and Pawel Tarasewicz 8-1, while No. 2-seeded Edberg Espinoza and Pablo Vilches hung on for an 8-6 decision against Marcos Fondelius and Sven Rodenbusch.
Lindsey Wilson completed the doubles sweep as Raul Mendez and Ignacio Huertas won 8-3 against Francois Billet and Connor Smith at the third seed.
Singles was handled by the Blue Raiders with a 6-2, 6-0 win by Espinoza over Sven Rodenbusch at No. 1 and a 6-1, 6-0 win by Morales over Fondelius at No. 2.
The Blue Raiders (15-2) advance to Saturday’s championship match against top-seeded Cumberland (Tenn.) at 2 p.m. ET. Lindsey Wilson is looking for its 11th straight MSC Championship.
UPIKE ended its regular season with a 15-7 record and will wait to see if it receives an at-large big to the NAIA National Championship next month.
Lindsey Wilson 5, Pikeville 0
Friday, April 25 at Lackey Tennis Center (Georgetown)
1. Edberg Espinoza (LWC) def. Sven Rodenbusch (UPIKE) 6-2, 6-0
2. Fabricio Morales (LWC) def. Marcos Fondelius (UPIKE) 6-1, 6-0
1. Franisco Charters/Morales (LWC) def. Felix Singer/Pawel Tarasewicz (UPIKE) 8-1
2. Espinoza/Pablo Vilches (LWC) def. Marcos Fondelius/Sven Rodenbusch (UPIKE) 8-6
3. Raul Mendez/Ignacio Huertas (LWC) def. Francois Billet/Connor Smith (UPIKE) 8-3
Pikeville: 15-7, 5-2 MSC; National Ranking: No. 21
Lindsey Wilson: 15-2, 6-1 MSC; National Ranking: No. 7