WILMORE – The Asbury (Ky.) University men’s tennis team hadn’t lost a match for over three weeks, but the University of Pikeville changed that on Tuesday with a 6-3 win at the Eagle Tennis Courts.
UPIKE improved to 14-6 overall with the win, even though it started out a little shaky building a hard-fought 2-1 lead after doubles.
Top-seeded Sven Rodenbusch and Marcos Fondelius battled to a 9-8 (3) win against Scott Layton and Daniel Harris and Connor Smith and Francois Billet won 8-2 at the No. 2 seed against Deuce Gibson and Kevin Mansur to take a 2-0 lead.
The Bears’ lone doubles loss came at the No. 3 seed where Nicolas Rodenbusch and Pawel Tarasewicz dropped a 9-7 decision to Stephen Woods and Justin Westlund.
In singles, Asbury grabbed wins at the very top of the order and the very bottom. Billet lost at No. 1 to Layton 6-3, 1-6 (3) and Brennan Alderman lost at No. 6 to Westlund 6-0, 6-0.
UPIKE took care of business the rest of the way with four straight-set wins at seeds two through five. Singer topped Woods 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2, Juan Manuel Reyes beat Harris 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3, Tarasewicz cruised 6-1, 6-4 at No. 4 against Gibson and Federico Toscano registered a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 5 against Nick Streibick.
At press time, Pikeville was competing in the Mid-South Conference Championship at the Lackey Tennis Center in Georgetown.
Pikeville 6, Asbury (Ky.) 3
Tuesday at Eagle Tennis Courts, Wilmore
1. Scott Layton (AU) def. Francois Billet (UPIKE) 6-3, 1-6, (3)
2. Felix Singer (UPIKE) def. Stephen Woods (AU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Juan Manuel Reyes (UPIKE) def. Daniel Harris (AU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Pawel Tarasewicz (UPIKE) def. Deuce Gibson (AU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Federico Toscano (UPIKE) def. Nick Streibick (AU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Justin Westlund (AU) def. Brennan Alderman (UPIKE) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sven Rodenbusch/Marcos Fondelius (UPIKE) def. Layton/Harris (AU) 9-8 (3)
2. Connor Smith/Billet (UPIKE) def. Gibson/Kevin Mansur (AU) 8-2
3. Woods/Westlund (AU) def. Nicolas Rodenbusch/Tarasewicz (UPIKE) 9-7
Pikeville: 14-6, 5-2 MSC; National Ranking: No. 21
Asbury: 9-8; National Ranking: UR