ELKINS, W.Va. – The 21st-ranked University of Pikeville men’s tennis team stepped outside of conference play on Wednesday to register a 5-4 win at Davis & Elkins (W. Va.) at the Katherine S. Thomas Tennis Center.
With the win, the Bears improved to 13-5.
Davis & Elkins drops to 12-6 after suffering the loss.
After Charles Brunel and Simon Meriau put the Senators up 1-0 with a win over Sven Rodenbsuch and Marcos Fondelius at the No. 1 doubles match, the Bears tallied a pair of important wins at the final two seeds. No. 2 Francois Billet and Connor Smith topped Vincent Hamon and William Hill 8-4 and No. 3 Nicolas Rodenbusch and Pawel Tarasewicz beat Jonathan Gainer and Thomas Judd 8-2.
Up 2-1, the Senators got back in control with wins at the top three singles seeds. Juan Manuel Reyes got things rolling again for UPIKE with a 6-1, 7-5 win against Judd and Felix Singer tied the match at 4-4 with a 6-3, 6-2 win against Hill.
Tarasewicz sealed the win for the Bears at the No. 6 seed with a win against Guilherme Hubsch.
UPIKE will be back in action at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday against Cumberland in Lebanon, Tenn..
Pikeville 5, Davis & Elkins (W. Va.) 4
April 16 at Katherine S. Thomas Tennis Center (Elkins, W. Va.)
1. Vincent Hamon (DE) def. Sven Rodenbusch (UPIKE) 6-4, 6-2
2. Charles Brunel (DE) def. Francois Billet (UPIKE) 6-3, 6-4
3. Simon Meriau (DE) def. Marcos Fondelius (UPIKE) 7-5, 6-3
4. Juan Manuel Reyes (UPIKE) def. Thomas Judd (DE) 6-1, 7-5
5. Felix Singer (UPIKE) def. William Hill (DE) 6-3, 6-2
6. Pawel Tarasewicz (UPIKE) def. Guilherme Hubsch (DE)
1. Brunel/Meriau (DE) def. Sven Rodenbusch/Fondelius (UPIKE) 8-6
2. Billet/Connor Smith (UPIKE) def. Hamon/Hill (DE) 8-3
3. Nicolas Rodenbusch/Pawel Tarasewicz (UPIKE) def. Judd/Jonathan Gainer (DE) 8-2
Pikeville: 13-5, 5-1 MSC; National Ranking: No. 21
Davis & Elkins: 12-6, 4-0 GMAC; National Ranking: UR