floydcountytimes.com

Resident saves home before firefighters arrive

Ralph B. Davis rdavis@civitasmedia.com

December 2, 2013

PRESTONSBURG — Tragedy was averted Monday morning, thanks to one resident’s quick actions in the face of a fire beginning in his home.


Around 10:30 a.m., Prestonsburg Fire Department was called to a report of a house fire at 29 Mays Avenue, in the Goble Roberts section of town. Once there, however, there was little for firefighters to do, except move a burned stove out onto the back porch.


“This is the way we like to see them end, especially around the holidays,” said Asst. Chief Chuck Davis.


After the stove caught fire, the resident reported it to Prestonsburg Dispatch. However, rather than wait for firefighters, he instead grabbed a fire extinguisher and tackled the flames himself. By the time firefighters arrived, all that greeted them was smoke and the blackened but extinguished stove.


Davis said the man’s preparedness and actions likely saved his home from much more damage, had he simply waited for firefighters to mobilize and make the four-mile drive to his home.


“His quick thinking probably saved a lot,” Davis said.