August 6, 2013
Amid much speculation and misinformation about the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Kentucky Voices for Health will hold a webinar this week to explain it, and to help participants explain it to others.
“Get Covered Kentucky: Understanding the Affordable Care Act” will be held Thursday, Aug. 8, from 10 to 10:45 a.m. Eastern Time. The webinar is designed for health educators, health-care employees, community members, and journalists in Kentucky who want to improve their understanding of, and ability to talk to the public about, the health reform law, expansion of Medicaid and the new health benefit exchange branded as Kynect, where health insurance and subsides will be offered.
Kentucky Voices for Health, a coalition of health lobbying groups, said in its news release, “By the end of the webinar, participants should be able to:
• Explain to a lay audience the most important provisions of the Affordable Care Act;
• Understand the general timeline for implementation of the ACA, specifically when Kentucky’s exchange and Medicaid expansion go into effect;
• Discuss how the ACA affects the health insurance responsibilities of employers and private individuals in Kentucky;
• Educate others about Kynect and its function;
• Inform community members about their eligibility for federal tax credits for purchasing insurance via Kynect;
• Inform community members about their eligibility for enrollment in Medicaid, as a result of its expansion;
• Debunk myths and misunderstandings about the ACA which may hamper implementation; and
• Communicate knowledge about the ACA to Kentuckians in a culturally appropriate manner.”
To register for the webinar, visit https://events.na.collabserv.com/portal/wippages/register.php?id=d0faaa0614&l=en-US.