By: Jack Lattajlatta@civitasmedia.com
February 19, 2013
PRESTONSBURG — An early morning blaze in Big Branch of Bull Creek was contained and kept from spreading into a nearby residence Tuesday after Prestonsburg Fire Department responded to the scene.
Prestonsburg firefighters were dispatched a little after 4 a.m. Tuesday, after an unoccupied garage became engulfed in flames. Firefighters fought the flames for more than an two hours to keep the fire from spreading to a trailer less than 10 yards away.
“That was our first priority, to protect that exposure,” Prestonsburg Fire Chief Bobby Carpenter said. The building, a 20 foot-by-40 foot metal garage, belonged to Bobby Pennington. Carpenter says that there was no damage to the nearby trailer.
Carpenter said Pennington told firefighters he had recently cleaned the garage, and that it was his belief he may have left cleaning supplies too close to a space heater.
The building, which was a total loss, contained a Jeep Wrangler, a Harley Davidson motorcycle, small excavator, a four-wheeler, plus a large number of tools.
The building, while not in the city limits, is covered as part of the North Floyd Fire District.
According to Carpenter, no official cause for the fire has been determined. Fourteen city firefighters responded to the call as well as members from the Floyd County Rescue Squad to provide support.